Monday 14 February 2011

Moddi: Out Of This World

When you're lazing in bed on a Sunday morning, with no real plans for your day, looking blankly out of the window at threatening February skies, it's always a treat to get a call inviting you along to see some music. After a quick jaunt to a vintage fair to see Smiff flogging her wares (she flogged me a very nice black gentleman's dress scarf), I drove through rain and hideously bad traffic to The Wilmington on Rosebery Ave.

Teatime shows on a Sunday are a great idea. No need to stay out late if you have to be down the mine at 5am on Monday, it's a nice, gentle way to spend a few hours without clock-watching and getting those Sunday Evening Blues (not that I suffer from that problem, being a right lazy bastard and complete part-timer). I was greeted by The Scot and lovely Joe Soundman from The Slaughtered Lamb (also erstwhile soundman for The Local and lift-taker back from EOTR with Bernie and Kieran). I didn't click at the time, but the chap actually sitting on the door was introduced as Jack, who turned out to be none other than Jack Cheshire, the headline act for the evening (love a bloke who can multitask, me).

After a quick chat with the chaps, I settled at the bar. First up, Deer Park. Actually, it seemed it was only a bit of the Park, just Mark Park in fact. Very good too, nice bit of harmonica, sweet voice. And anyone who chucks in a bit of Mr Gram Parsons (Burrito Brother of the highest order) at the end of his set will do me just fine.

Chit-chat followed. I was introduced to a very charming man called Ken, who is a music publicist and friend of The Scot and Howard Local. Amusingly, I think he thought I may be a musician - quickly disabused him of that notion. He'd come to see Moddi play, as he hadn't had chance before. And what a treat was in store.

Norwegian Pål Knutsen (Moddi) first came to my attention at EOTR last year. I was lucky enough to see him perform once on The Local stage, but not as lucky as Bernie and Kieran, who saw him do another fascinating set in the fairy woods (avoiding Norwegian Wood puns like the plague here). I think the woods at Larmer Tree are a magical enough place for someone so otherworldly to perform. His music is beautiful, weaving and twisting, quiet, then loud, haunting. It's very difficult to put into words how diverse it can be (not often stuck for words, so that says a lot). Just him and a cello player tonight, and the pair of them created such beautiful harmonies, not just with their instruments (he plays accordion, piano, guitar), but with their gorgeous voices too. I think I said "wow" out loud after one song. Dead eloquent, I am.

Last up, multitasking musician and part-time doorman Jack Cheshire. I'd never seen Jack perform before but he was superb. He has an interesting voice, with a very slight crack in it (always a fan of that). He strums his guitar like a demon at one point, and I remember thinking he must have a very strong right wrist (this can come in handy for the chaps...when carrying things, for example). And yet another cover, this time one of Liverpool's finest, the Bunnymen's Killing Moon. Rather well done, too.

And then it's over. There's a bit of hanging around, and then I get to eat dinner with The Scot and the Moddi duo. I'm very ashamed to say that I can't remember the name of the lovely cellist - hopeless memory strikes again - and I didn't like to ask a second time. Pål really is a fascinating character and I'm quite smitten with his oddness. Some decent Italian nosh later (melanzane parmigiana - hoo-haa!) and some interesting chat (Norwegians apparently don't have a word for please - EH???), and it's time to pay. I get out my lovely tan wallet. The Scot gets out his lovely vintage wallet. Pål gets out a luminous orange zipped felt purse with a face on it. I tried not to stare but it was hard - I may have gawped (powers of description are returning).

I'll be recommending to all I know that they see Moddi play at The Slaughtered Lamb in March (it's only a fiver, for fuck's sake): https://www.wegottickets.com/event/107997 . It has to be money well spent, and who knows, you might get to catch a glimpse of that mighty orange purse too.

Nice jumper, Pål