Monday 6 April 2009

AOP + NYC + BILL

Day after tomorrow, I'm going to NY for 12 whole days - hooo-haaaa! But first, I must negotiate the bedlam that is the Association Of Photographers Awards at Sadlers Wells. My mission (should I choose to accept it without self-destructing) is to go along and stay sober (can't fly 7 hours with banging hangover). Sobriety is not the norm for this event. In a hall packed with egos, bristling with competition ("it got a GOLD??? But it's been done by Eggleston/Cartier-Bresson/McCullin/my six-year-old niece so much better*"... *delete where you like...), booze is mandatory. Me? I'm normally shit-faced by about 11pm. Last year, I rolled into a cab at about 3am. I didn't function properly the next day. Or for several days afterwards. But it's a good night for catching up with old friends, and for spotting emerging talent. Last year, my mate Dylan won a Gold award, and I remember his early struggles to get commissioned. Those days are over and I'm thrilled for him.
 
I'm off to stay with LouLou in NY. Can't wait. There'll be more to tell when I get there and have done some stuff (eat cake, potter about, see bands - Walkmen, Tallest Man On Earth, Crippled Black Phoenix), but one important thing to note is that the 18th is Record Store Day: http://www.recordstoreday.com/Home  

And aside from all the special vinyl releases and exciting events, BILL CALLAHAN WILL BE PLAYING LIVE IN-STORE AT OTHER RECORDS IN MANHATTAN AND I AM NEARLY LAYING AN EASTER EGG AS I HAVE ONLY JUST FOUND THIS OUT AND CAN YOU TELL I AM REALLY BLOODY EXCITED AND HOPING TO SIT ON HIS KNEE AS HE PLAYS OK WELL MAYBE THAT'S A BIT SILLY BUT GOD OH GOD I AM VERY PLEASED. And he has a beard now which is just lovely. Don't go shaving, Bill.