Wednesday 25 January 2012

Pop Noire: Their Dark Material

Tuesday. Worst day of the week by an imperial mile. It’s nowhere. Even Monday has its saving graces. Once Monday is over, you honestly feel like you’ve achieved something, even if it’s only the superlative feat of having gotten out of bed and made it through a whole day at work. When I was more of a lady of leisure, Tuesday held no dread for me. All days blurred into a happy haze of wellingtons, walks on the Heath, sipping tea in cafes. Being poorer than a church mouse put paid to that sort of malarkey, and now I’m working 9-5 (ain’t no way to make a livin’ – oh, I hear you, Dolly P).

So, Tuesday, Tuesday – how to ease the pain you bring? Well, be lucky enough to have pals put on a spectacular showcase of top music in a great little venue. The Shacklewell Arms chaps probably couldn’t believe their luck. Tuesday, the day notorious for people saying stuff like “Go out? On the worst night of the week? Are you out of your tiny?”. Probably like a beer morgue in there most Tuesdays.

But not this Tuesday. Pop Noire are up to their musical tricks again, giving London Town a real treat with its first view of Savages and Lescop. The place was packed to its shabby rafters, the joint truly jumping. First up, Savages. Savages are the new project from Jehn of John & Jehn fame (aka my lovely French pal, Camille). And jesus, they were good. How to describe? Hints of Patti Smith, Siouxsie, Velvets, shoegaze, punk – loved it. And so did the crowd. My funny, smart, gorgeous friend has a stunning voice, intense and compelling to watch. “Hypnotic” according to a gentleman friend. No-one could believe Savages are a new band - tight, polished, cool. Great tunes, top attitude.

A nice pot of Guinness later (I’m virtually teetotal since NYE, folks), and we’re getting the super tunes of Lescop. Having watched the boys in Paris back in November, I was pleased to see them playing off safe home turf and still having a crowd whistling and whooping for more. When Matthieu asked the ladies in the audience to move closer, the ladies moved closer – gladly. Superb evening, good crowd, great atmosphere. Who says Tuesday can’t rock?

(Postscript: My lovely friends asked me very nicely if I’d have a houseguest at Disgracelands, not enough room at the Pop Noire inn. I was more than happy to have Antoine, their Pop Noire partner-in-crime, stay over – he’s a lovely gentleman. As I’ve already posted Lescop’s video on an earlier blog, I think I’ll show you a beautiful bit of film-making by Antoine for a song by his friends, the very wonderful John & Jehn. Antoine is supremely talented, but far too modest to blow his own trumpet, so I’ll blow it for him (oh, leave it, you lot).