Sunday 16 October 2011

Head Cat: Röcking From Cover To Cover


Mr Ian Kilmister has teamed up with his old mate Slim Jim Phantom of The Stray Cats, and Danny B. Harvey of The Rockats. This cocktail of bootlace ties, Levis and quiffs make up The Head Cat.

It's late on Sunday evening and I've just watched the best covers band I'll ever see. Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Johhny Cash, Robert Johnson, Buddy Holly, Dale Hawkins, Carl Perkins - Lemmy and the lads played the lot. Even a sweet cover of my Little Walter fave, My Babe. At one point, Lemmy rasps "tonight, Slim Jim, for you - Opportunity Knocks!" and we get a corking Stray Cats 'Rock This Town'. There's a few bits of off-timing, but as the man from Motörhead so charmingly puts it "we haven't practiced this one too much, so if we fuck it up, sorry", and frankly, it's Lemmy, so no-one really gives a stuff whether they fuck it up or not.

If there is such a thing as a working men's club in the Hollywood Hills, then I think I've witnessed their house band. And Head Cat would be one turn definitely worth paying your subs for.