Tuesday 18 January 2011

Crisps

Crisps are great. I like them a lot. They make a top hangover cure, sandwiched in white bread. Growing up, there was Golden Wonder. Then came the fascination of things like Frazzles (my Mum's favourite) and Quavers. Pickled Onion Monster Munch (delicious). Discos (how much flavour?). Wotsits (no, thanks - sweaty, cheesy cardboard). And if you're from Yorkshire - the joy of Seabrook crinkle cut (now on sale in Asda EVERYWHERE!!!).

I remember (and so it seems do many of my friends) putting an empty crisp packet under the grill at home until it shrivelled up, and then glueing a pin to the back of it to make a tiny, shrivelled crisp packet brooch. This may sound odd. I must investigate with my southern counterparts to find if this was going on in Hackney and Shepherd's Bush in the early 70s too.

Went for a styling meeting today in an ad agency. One of their accounts is a well-known crisp brand. In their reception, they have a wall of crisps, there for the taking. I did some taking, getting away with two packets of salt and vinegar. Very nice they were too, Gary Lineker.

I met The Scot on Sunday afternoon for a chinwag. We ended up in a pub, and he got some crisps from the bar. We find we have a mutual fascination (or disdain) for the way crisps have stopped being simply cheese and onion - crisp connoisseurs can now tuck into mature cheddar and red onion. Marketing gone mental.

So, imagine me walking into Selfridges after my meeting, just for a little wander and look at nice things in the food hall/kitchen department, and coming across this:

For. Fuck's. Sake. Mozarella and chuffing basil on a crisp. And they're from Yorkshire (and 'convivial' ???). So, I had a bit of a Google. Seems this farmer fella called Ashley Turner in Sheffield is digging up his spuds, turning them into fancy crisps (Chardonnay Wine Vinegar flavour, anyone?) and flogging them to Fortnum & Mason, Harvey Nichols and Selfridges. I bet he's laughing his head (and flat cap) off.