Saturday 9 May 2009

Whippin' It Real Good

I have no idea where Ohio is. But I know the name of a town there so well. Akron is the home of one of my all-time heroines, Miss Chrissie Hynde, before she saw sense and moved to England. The town also spawned the wonderful Black Keys. And it's the birthplace of the punk-kitsch-freakshow that is Devo.

Got a last-minute call from The Old Punk to say that we'd wangled tickets to see them on Wednesday (hooray for free - tickets were £35!!!). After a small communication breakdown, I collected him and Blondie and headed for The Forum (big fat HMV sign over the door still makes me wince). Parking spot right outside the door - perfect. Huge queue - not perfect. No queue for guestlist - perfect again. Get our passes and go inside and straight upstairs. Big Fish has called to say we have a VIP table (good lord - when does this happen? I can't bear to sit down at gigs, but I'm actually pleased...must be me age).  Bobby Gillespie is on the table next to us - Primal Scream aren't really my thing, although Screamadelica is a top album and takes me back to some very good times in the past. I've never found him particularly attractive, but he is better in the flesh than in pics I've seen in mags. Video footage starts on the big screens...

And then they come out. Yellow boilersuits, great moves, massive sound. Electric atmosphere. They are so tight. The crowd has a mental spazz-out when they play 'Mongoloid' (can I say 'spazz-out'? Or will the PC police spank me?). And there's something really heartwarming about watching a crowd full of mainly men, forty-and-fifty-somethings, wearing red plastic plantpots on their heads, completely freaking out to a band they love. I absolutely adore this shit.