Tuesday 12 May 2009

Viking Gods In The Lord's House

We have an understanding, me and The Lord. I leave him alone, He leaves me alone. But it's OK for me to pop round His gaff occasionally, if there's something good going on. He's started putting some good nights on in London recently. Hmmm...not sure He's the booking agent, but I feel He must surely approve...

Just in from Shearwater and The Cave Singers at Union Chapel. Met up with Nads, Brummie and Screwy in The Hope and Anchor, then straight over to get a good pew...got there just as the first support act went on (Hospital Ships). He was OK, but the call of the bar was stronger. Managed to neck a beer each, just in time to get back for The Cave Singers to go on stage. Me and Brummie are like a couple of kids. We absolutely love this band, not just because they go for it, but because they look like they're having such a good time whilst they're doing it. They play quite a few new songs (merch stall beckons), but Helen and Dancing On Our Graves are the stand out songs. (Derek the guitarist tells me afterwards that the new album isn't out until August - bollocks).

Straight back to the bar. I recognise a bloke at the bar. "Are you Michael? I think I made you a beard once", I asked. He started laughing and his girlfriend (recent acquisition, by the looks of it) laughed too. She said he'd shown her this beard only the other day. I made it for him about 18 months ago, at a Folk Idol Xmas Party. I sat on a stool knocking fake fur beards up for some of the crowd and acts. Went down a storm. I'm amazed he kept it - the way she was chuckling, am wondering if they've incorporated it into their fledgling sex life...

And then Shearwater. I've seen this band three times now and they have really grown on me. Jonathan Meiburg has the most clear, strong, stunning voice, backed up by a total fox on double bass, guitarist, bassist, but more importantly, the drummer in Shearwater is Thor. Thor Harris looks just like a Thor should look. He's like a viking god, flowing chest-length blonde hair, bulging muscles...if only viking gods played the following instruments: 

Drums, hammer dulcimer, xylophone, glockenspiel, water bowls, found instruments and homemade instruments (thanks, Wikipedia)

What are found instruments? Stuff out of a skip? Frankly, I don't care. And neither did Brummie. A woman who loves drummers as much as I do couldn't fail to be gripped by Thor. I'd tried to describe him to her, but when she spotted him, she was in heaven. They played a superb set, were called out to an encore, and as they finished the last song, the clapping started, and Brummie waved at them. And God bless him, Jonathan waved back at her. I completely pissed my pants laughing.

Hammer Of The Gods

(Postscript: Thor is also the drummer for Bill Callahan. If I ever see them both, doing their thing, on a stage, at the same time...well, I might just mess my pants.)