Sunday 29 March 2009

Hard-Ons

Sometimes, you just have to get stuff down while it's fresh in your mind. If you don't, you run the risk of sanitising what you feel and think in the moment, right here, right now.

So...just in from seeing the Hard-Ons play at the Underworld. The last time I saw these fellas play live, I was probably about 19 years old, and they were touring with the Stupids. The Stupids were the darlings du jour of the NME at the time. American hardcore was just starting to get an airing over here, adults were skateboarding, Thrasher magazine, Tony Hawk and Dogtown were adored by a whole UK generation loving the U S of A. The Old Punk was putting on every band who embraced this scene at the Wharf/Topspot, so bands who graced the front cover of the NME could also be seen for a quid in a snooker club (please see the global phenomenon that is Green Day as reference...). Good times...in fact so good, that I had Hard-Ons crashing on my living room floor on that tour (oo-er missus), and I developed a crush (does nothing ever change?) on the guitarist/singer Blackie.

Fast forward 23 years. And they were good. They look marginally older. They can still rock. They are still funny and very Australian. They are NOT fat OR bald (quite something these days). And after the first number, they take their tops off (quite something ANY day in my book). After they played, we made our way over to the merch stall. Ray spotted us first. "Huddersfield!" he cried. And apparently, Blackie had recognised me straight away (be still, my beating heart). Ray said me and Blondie had lost weight - keep talking, Ray...you're saying all the right things... It was pretty bizarre, but a really nice experience. 23 years gone by, and yet we reckoned time had pretty much stood still (provided we avoid bright lights and close scrutiny).


(I also went to Tally Ho! at Finchley Artsdepot last night with Nadine and Smiff. It was a really nice evening - a little lyrically poignant and sad-making towards the end of the evening, but I am so glad we all went together. Another good night by The Local - Denis Jones was the stand-out act. He really does just get better and better, and we all agreed he was our favourite of the night. Good to see Lucy Local too - first time I've seen her this year, and I forget what a witty woman she is. Briefly spotted the musical god-like genius that is DTB, but not to speak to. Wish I'd got there in time to see Babel again too - just missed them cos of bloody traffic. Good evening/good music/good company.)