Wednesday 8 December 2010

Magnificent Fiends and Old Friends

When I heard that LouLou and Andy were coming over from NYC, I was ecstatic. When it came to light that the visit would coincide with a top gig, even better. To have Wooden Shjips, Howlin Rain and Moon Duo on one bill just seems ridiculous, but they were and we went. It was a lovely night, made even better by the fact that LouLou asked along none other than Mr Michael Cooke. It was a thrill to see a man whose very existence I'd begun to doubt - I haven't seen him for over 10 years. Cookie was the coolest dude around in my youth, DJ/top skateboarder/lead singer/heartthrob. And he's still bloody lovely.

Great gig at The Garage - Nads and I caught the last song by Moon Duo (when will I get to see a full set???). Howlin Rain kicked up a 70s storm (Ethan Miller is tour-de-force as a frontman, carrying off high kicks with aplomb, and fuck me, the pipes on him), playing a few of my fave tracks off Magnificent Fiend (I gave in to merch - sucker for a grey t-shirt, me). Wooden Shjips droned away beautifully (think Keith Hawkwind would be disgusted at the plagiarism, but Mr Brock might take it as the sincerest form of flattery).

Definite highlight - catching up with people I suddenly realised I've known for over 25 years...and we're still doing the same old shit (booze, gigs, laughs). And I wouldn't change it for anything.