Thursday 15 July 2010

Black Mountain, Dark Horses

So...when I hear that one of my top fave bands are going to be in town, I go to buy tickets. Sold out. SOLD OUT??? What? Why? Distraught, I start thinking about who I know (it's NEVER what I know...) who might be able to scratch backs/grease palms on my behalf. And then lo and behold, the Great Gig Deity deems that Black Mountain will do TWO dates at the Lexington and this denim-clad Cinderella will go to the ball.

I get to the Lexington unfeasibly early. Not cos I'm keen, I'll have you know, but because I finished work at 6 and it's not that far away. So, I grab food (Snickers), beverage (shandy) and settle down in a corner to wait for Nads to arrive. Am amazed to see band sitting right next to me. Not wanting to end up grinning like a nutter or coming out with some wank like "oooh, I love you lot", I occupy myself doing a bit of paperwork and a couple of overdue phone calls. Nads arrives and we head outside, saving me from suggesting a hairy group hug...

We have a catch up, then head up to see the support, Dark Horses. I liked them. Very cool girl singer, sporting a cape (I like capes - it's the 70's-meets-medieval-Flake-ad-wannabe in me), and clearly a heavy adoration of Ms Patti Smith, which is no bad thing. She has a really strong, clear voice, but can do the sweet thing too. They actually are quite dark, those Horses.

Was pleased to see Alex Milas, editor of Metalhammer there. Alex is a huge, hairy American and is very adorable. He's a talented journalist (winner of Press mag editor of the year 2009) and a friend of the Old Punk who sells him his Metal Blade wares for his magazine on a regular basis. Alex tells me he's never seen BM live, and is really quite excited. Well, that makes two of us, love.

But let's cut to the chase. When Black Mountain take the stage, there's a change in atmosphere (not least cos of dry ice - love a bit of that, dodgy ex-goth that I am). And when the opening strains of "Stormy High" ring out, you just know you're in for it. And as they follow it up with the next three tracks off "In The Future", I suddenly think I'm at an ATP Don't Look Back event by accident. All that changes with their latest offering "Old Fangs". Great. Check out the vid:



And there's more new stuff - and I love it all. Particularly a track which goes very 70s Heavy Load, and another which is heavier still. Could I love these people any more? (I may be gushing a bit now - jesus...). And then "Don't Run Our Hearts Around" and I know we're coming to a close. But they don't get off that easy, and an encore brings another couple, finishing with a bloody corking "Bright Lights". Stunning.

And then it's over. And all that shandy means a trip to the Ladies...after relieving myself, I bump into singer Amber BM, and relieve myself all over again by telling her how great they were. She's a real sweetheart. Turns out even more so, because seconds later I can't find my wallet and heading back into the loo to look, she comes out of the loo I've been in and has a look around with me, whilst telling me how much she loves my handbag. Turns out the big hippy handbag is the culprit and wallet is hiding within. I'm such a knobhead.

As we leave, Nads and I peruse merch - there's a megadeal for a ticket to see BM supported by The Black Angels AND a t-shirt - for £15!!! Ever the Yorkshirewomen, we love a bargain, and money changes hands...roll on the release of Wilderness Heart in September (which I'll be buying like some spod überfan when they play at End Of The Road, whilst wearing my t-shirt and having yet another big Black Mountain lovewankspoutoff, no doubt...)