Wednesday 12 May 2010

I Love To Boogie

Had a bit of a quandary tonight...go to the pub with mates, or go to a gig alone. Now, doing stuff on me lonesome has never bothered me before, but I haven't done a gig on my own for quite some time...sadly, due to Valerie Singleton status, reckon I'll have to get used to it. So, the bullet was bitten and I drove off for the Garage at Highbury to partake of a little heavy.

Got to the venue and got a parking spot right outside the back door - perfect. Went inside, paid in and entered the room - about 6 people watching Hush Arbors. He has a sweet voice, Keith Wood (Mr Arbors) and I enjoy being able to hear every word for once. He's joined by a girl on stage for his last four songs, who also has a lovely voice but I didn't catch her name. Must try harder...

And this is where my legendary staying power comes in. I have to loiter about sober for another hour before the main act. Luckily, I love to people watch, and also luckily for me, the place fills up quite a bit so I don't end up staring at the same 6 people.

Earlier, a couple of dudes come in and they stand by me. As I have no idea what Endless Boogie look like, I aren't to know that the band have been standing right next to me all night until suddenly they all walk up to the front and start putting guitars on and twiddling with gear.

And then they're off. Singer Top Dollar (am not thinking he was christened this by Ma) says "we are Endless Boogie and this is our last song" which is pretty funny, as it actually IS. They do one lonnnnnnng song which goes on for ever, like a never-ending droning jam. They are loud, heavy, swirly and quite brilliant. The perfect tonic...just what I needed in my current state of mind. You can have a bit too much folking sometimes...