Sunday 2 November 2008

Big Black Mummy

Halloween is big business nowadays. Back in the day (go on, girl - try sounding like your Granny, whydontcha?), it consisted of having a turnip (yes, as hilarious as that sounds, I don't think there were any pumpkins round my way when I was a kid - I am laughing as I type this, cos it sounds like a Monty Python Northerner sketch starring Terry Jones as some old woman) with its innards scooped out and made into a lantern. And a bit of apple-bobbing. Not much knocking on doors and expecting lavish sweet treats bestowed upon us by a cheery householder. It'd have been more "sod off, you little nuisances, I'm trying to watch Morecambe and Wise". 

So, on Friday, Blondie and I were lucky enough to be given a couple of passes by The Forum Big Fish to the All Tomorrow's Parties Halloween bash. It was aptly named Release The Bats (one of my favourite Birthday Party songs, dodgy ex-Goth that I am). ATP encouraged the gig-goers to dress in Halloween costume or to come as a character linked to any of the bands playing on the evening. My days of dressing like a ghoul ended in 1986...so Blondie and I agreed that if anyone asked what we'd come as, we'd reply that we'd wet our pants earlier and therefore we'd come as...Pissed Jeans! Genius.

It was a pretty good night - nice to catch up with Big Fish, and also see some bands I'd never seen before. Liked Wooden Shjips, realised I only need to listen to Om in a darkened room (not much happening visually), LOVED Les Savy Fav (plenty to look at there - as soon as I saw the length of his mic cable I knew he was going walkabout), but the highlight and total shock of the evening had to be ex-Big Black leader Steve Albini, now of Shellac. 

Before they came on, I'd run a sweepstake with Blondie, Tabby and Tom regarding Mr Albini's fancy dress outfit. Bets ranged from black t-shirt and jeans, black hooded top and jeans, black hooded top AND t-shirt AND jeans. Footwear - black Converse (why change the habits of 30 years?). Imagine our shock, horror and delight when he came on dressed as a mummy. As in, completely bandaged from head-to-toe, with just a couple of holes for eyes and small mouth hole. AND acted the part. Very, very funny and impressive. Yet again, wish I'd had my Canon with me (iPhone has even crapper camera than the Sony Ericsson) to record the event. Maybe if Fugazi do play next year (there are rumours...), Ian MacKaye will come as a pantomime dame...